ABOUT THIS POSITIONThe City of Phoenix Public Works Department offers experienced HVAC Service Technicians (Buidling Equipment Operator I) the opportunity to join our team. This technician is responsible for repair and maintenance of residential and commercial heating and air conditioning systems and components located at many facilities throughout the City of Phoenix.
Types of equipment include:
- Split systems and package units ranging from 1.5-ton to 20-tons.
- Water source heat pumps.
- Evaporative coolers.
- Exhaust fans.
- Cooling towers.
- Building automation systems.
This position often works independently. Candidates must be self-motivated and able to work alone.
- Ability to work independently and safely using standard HVAC technician tools & equipment, i.e. climbing ladders, electric and hydraulic lifts, power tools, hand tools, refrigerant recovery equipment.
- Ability to proficiently read and interpret blueprints, performance charts, control panels, and PC terminals.
- Light plumbing repairs.
Hiring Range: $26.18 to $31.82 per hour.
- Hiring range is an estimate of where you can receive an offer. The actual salary offer will carefully consider a wide range of factors, including your skills, qualifications, experience, education, licenses, and or training.
A comprehensive benefits package is offered which includes:
- Traditional pension with employer and employee contributions, click here for more details: Pension Information
- 401(a) and 457 plans with employer contributions
- Choice of generous medical HMO, PPO, or HSA/HDHP plans
- Medical enrollment includes a monthly $150 City contribution to a Post-Employment Health Plan
- Wellness incentive of up to $720 annually
- Dental, vision, and life insurance options
- Employer paid long-term disability.
- Free Bus/light rail pass
- Tuition reimbursement program up to $6,500 per year
- Paid time off includes 13.5 paid holidays, 12 vacation days, and 15 sick days and personal leave days.
- Paid Parental Leave for eligible employees up to 480 hours (12 weeks) of paid leave for the birth, adoption, or foster care placement of a child during a 12-month period.
- Federal Student Loan Forgiveness offered through Savi.
For more details, visit: Unit 002 Benefits
- Four years of experience in the operation and maintenance of large and small, modern refrigeration and heating systems.
- Supplemented by training in modern refrigeration and air conditioning systems.
- OR Completion of an acceptable apprenticeship program.
- Other combinations of experience and education that meet the minimum requirements may be substituted.
- The City job description can be found here.
- Candidates who receive a conditional offer of employment must be fingerprinted and will have their fingerprints used to check the Criminal History Records of the State of Arizona Department of Public Safety and the Federal Bureau of Investigation. Any records returned will be reviewed to determine the candidate’s suitability for the job.
- Some positions require the use of personal or City vehicles on City business. Individuals must be physically capable of operating the vehicles safely, possess a valid driver’s license and have an acceptable driving record. Use of a personal vehicle for City business will be prohibited if the employee is not authorized to drive a City vehicle or if the employee does not have personal insurance coverage.
- For information regarding pre-screening and driving positions, click here.
The minimum qualifications listed above, plus:
- Residential / Commercial unit and split system repairs.
- Building energy management systems
- Experience with:
- Performing maintenance and repairs to split systems, mini split systems, wall mounted A/C units, heat pumps, water source heat pumps, package units, gas packs, evaporative coolers, and exhaust fans.
- Water cooled equipment to include: chillers, cooling towers, water pumps, makeup water stations, and expansion tanks.
- Building Automation Systems (BAS): Trane, Delta, and Alerton.
- Pipe fitting, brazing, and soldering.
- Microsoft Office suite (Excel, Word, Outlook).
- Procurement software (SAP/SRM).
- Working irregular hours, shifts, weekends, holidays, and evenings may be required.
- Moving objects weighing up to 50 pounds may be required.
Recruitment closes October 12, 2023. All materials must be received by 11:59 p.m. on this date.
This is a position-based recruitment and will not result in any ongoing eligibility list. This recruitment and any selection processes resulting from this recruitment may be used to fill other related vacancies within the organization now or in the near future.
HOW TO APPLY
Apply online by completing the required information and attaching, as one document, your cover letter and resume. Please include your experience as it relates to the qualifications stated above. Only the highest qualified may be posted to the eligible to hire list. The results of the resume screening process will be sent to your primary email address.
WE ARE HERE TO HELP
- Job interviews may be held by video or audio conference.
- If you are in need of computer resources, click here for free options.
- Arizona at Work has frequent classes to help with resume writing, interviewing skills, and general career guidance. Click here for more information.
- Explore other Employment Opportunities with the City of Phoenix.
- Subscribe to receive e-mail notifications about new employment opportunities.
- If you need assistance applying for this job, please contact our HR Connection Center at (602) 495-5700.
Building Equip Op I: Job ID# 51668
Building the Phoenix of tomorrow.
City of Phoenix is an equal opportunity employer. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni who meet the required qualifications are encouraged to apply.